Land of the Incas with Peruvian Amazon and Easter Island
Brochure Type: Latin America 2022
On this unforgettable Peru tour, you'll uncover Incan history at Machu Picchu and discover the teeming marine life of the Ballestas Islands. Learn all about life in the million-year-old Peruvian Amazon from local guides before digging up the secrets of the Rapa Nui who once lived on remote Easter Island.
- Explore Lima and Cusco with a Local Specialist
- Visit the outdoor market at Pisac, Ollantaytambo, two visits to Machu Picchu, Sacsayhuaman, the Uros Islands and Lake Titicaca
- See the other-wordly Nazca Lines from the air
- Scenic Cruise around Lake Titicaca and the Ballestas Islands
- Scenic Train Ride to Machu Picchu aboard the Vistadome train
- Scenic Drive through the Sacred Valley
- Connect with Locals Learn how to prepare an authentic Ceviche and pour the perfect Pisco sour.
- Connect with Locals Explore our 30 hectare Palmetum, a collection of 19 Amazonian palms in a plot reserved for rainforest restoration and conservation.
- Connect with Locals We cruise the deep blue waters of Lake Titicaca with a Local Specialist, discovering its floating islands constructed from reeds by the Uros Indians
- Connect with Locals Connect with Locals over a Be My Guest experience lunch, learn about the culture surrounding the production of Giant White Corn. Our hosts will demonstrate the differences between traditional farming techniques and the newer technologies used today.
- Dive into Culture Visit a local chicheria for some traditional chicha tasting.
- Dive into Culture Visit Bodega El Catador to learn about and taste the finest pisco in the country.
- Dive into Culture Visit the Pisac market displaying indigeneous Quechua arts and crafts from communities from the surrounding highlands.
- Dive into Culture We'll Dive into Culture and meet a Quechua Shaman who will perform a ceremony welcoming you to Peru.
- Dive into Culture Stop at the Regional Museum of Ica where we'll explore the centuries-old cultures of the Paracas and Nazca.
- Dive into Culture Arrive at Taquile Island, where we'll embark on a private tour to gain insights into the tradition of Textile Art for which the local villagers-men and women-are renowned. Learn more about the culture of the people living on the island and enjoy a traditional lunch.
- MAKE TRAVEL MATTER Visit our organic bio-orchard to discover many of the rainforest's tropical plants up-close, with a chance to learn about their many intriguing medicinal uses by indigenous communities.
- Stays with Stories Aranwa Sacred Valley Hotel & Wellness is built along the Vilcanota riverbank, on the lands of an old 17th-century colonial hacienda.
- Stays with Stories Novotel was once an old, colonial Hacienda located in the historic centre of Cusco.
- 1 Be My Guest
- 1 Farewell Dinner
- 1 Regional Dinner
- 1 Welcome Reception
- 19 Breakfasts
- 8 Lunches
- 6 Dinners
- A Trafalgar bonus all Intra-Air Flights: Lima to Cusco, Cusco to Juliaca and Juliaca to Lima, including porter service at all airports.
- All hotel tips, charges and local taxes
- All porterage and restaurant gratuities
- An expert Travel Director and professional Driver
- Audio headsets for flexible sightseeing
- Breakfast daily and up to half of your evening meals
- Cherry-picked hotels, all tried and trusted
- Flight to see Nazca Lines
- Luxury air-conditioned coach with Wi-Fi in most countries or alternative transportation (such as rail journeys)
- Must-see sightseeing and surprise extras
- Optional Experiences and free time
- Tickets for a ride aboard the Vistadome train to Machu Picchu
Call (718) 377-2071 for more information or to book today! Mention code 16627927
- Tour Operator
- Trafalgar Tours
- Offer valid through 9/30/2022
- 20 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||Lima||Arrive Lima: Francisco Pizzaro's 'City of Kings' is your launch pad to an epic encounter with the Amazon's extraordinary biodiversity. On arrival in Lima, you'll be escorted to your airport hotel and enjoy the day to explore the sights of this colonial capital on your terms.|
Wyndham Costa del Sol Lima Airport
|Day 2||Traverse the Inkaterra Forest||Traverse the Inkaterra Forest: This morning, we fly to Puerto Maldonado (internal flight included) and embark on a journey on the Madre de Rios River to our jungle lodge. where we meet our guides for the Inkaterra Field Station. Join a Local Specialist for insights into the forest, then keep a keen eye out for shy caiman during a pre-dinner boat expedition. |
Inkaterra Field Station
|Day 3||Step Into the Mystical Amazon||Step Into the Mystical Amazon: Climb the exhilarating Inkaterra Canopy Walkway for an unforgettable opportunity to observe the rainforest from its rooftop. Deep within the rain forest, we enjoy the company of mischievous monkeys cavorting among the trees of Monkey Island. A short boat ride takes us into the Tambopata National Reserve where we'll hike through the thick jungle, admiring towering green walls of vegetation, the cacophony of birdcalls and the dappled light that filters through the canopy above. Arrive at Sandoval Lake, where you may spot a wide variety of birds, monkeys, giant river otters, black caimans and the elusive anaconda. The perfect end to our day sees us watch the sun set over the lake before heading back to our lodge for dinner.|
|Day 4||Encounter the Biodiversity of the Amazon||Encounter the Biodiversity of the Amazon: Discover the Amazon's otherworldly realm of aguajales rainforest swampland during your MAKE TRAVEL MATTER Experience and learn how vegetation has adapted to the exotic species that are drawn here as you Connect With Locals. Here you will also get a chance to visit our organic bio-orchard to discover many of the rainforest's tropical plants up-close and learn of their healing capabilities. Boldly venture out at night to discover some of the strange species that come alive under deep darkness in the Amazon with our Local Specialist. Stroll quietly as your senses heighten to the mysterious nocturnal sounds of birds, mammals, insects and amphibians wondering close by.|
|Day 5||Parrots and Puerto Maldonado||Parrots and Puerto Maldonado: This morning, embark on an excursion to a popular feeding area for multi-coloured parrots. After breakfast, we head back to Puerto Maldonado as your Amazon experience comes to an end. On arrival in Lima, you'll be transferred to your hotel in the exclusive barrio of San Isidro where you'll enjoy a Welcome Reception this evening to meet your Travel Director and travel companions.|
|Day 6||Lima Sightseeing||Lima Sightseeing: Ease in to Lima life with a leisurely morning to enjoy the city. Next, you'll connect with the colonial heritage of Francisco Pizzaro's 'City of Kings', joining your Local Specialist for a city tour that reveals Lima's colonial splendour. Admire the UNESCO-listed Historic Centre and see the Church of San Francisco, delving into its hidden catacombs, religious art museum and extensive library. Later, you'll embark on a scenic walk through Miraflores with your Travel Director and soak up the local sights and sounds.|
|Day 7||Lima - Cusco - Sacred Valley||Lima - Cusco - Sacred Valley: We'll fly to Cusco this morning, the gateway to Peru's treasured Sacred Valley, where you will enjoy a local Peruvian lunch with sweeping views of the Sacred Valley. Then we'll Dive Into Culture, meeting a Shaman who will perform a special ceremony to welcome us to Peru. Tonight, you'll stay at our Stays With Stories hotel along the banks of the Vilcanota River, on the grounds of an old 17th-century colonial hacienda. It is great for morning birders and afternoon walks in the gardens.|
Aranwa Sacred Valley
|Day 8||Sacred Valley||Sacred Valley: Connect With Locals over a Be My Guest experience lunch, learn about the culture surrounding the production of Giant White Corn. Our hosts will demonstrate the differences between traditional farming techniques and the newer technologies used today. Revel in the romance of the local Marinera dance and local musicans. This evening, meet Local Specialist, Peter Frost, a writer, photographer and independent scholar who has explored the Andes and Amazon for 47 years, locating and investigating the previously unknown Inca and pre-Inca site of Qoriwayrachina. He currently resides in Peru and works as an accompanying expert for National Geographic Expeditions.|
|Day 9||Sacred Valley - Machu Picchu||Sacred Valley - Machu Picchu: Visit the mystical Incan stronghold of Ollantaytambo, en route to Machu Picchu, a village in the Sacred Valley, set on the Urubamba River amid majestic mountains. It's known for the Ollantaytambo ruins, a massive Inca fortress with large stone terraces on a hillside. Then, ascend to the Lost City in the Clouds aboard the Vistadome train (light snack included) travelling along the Inca Trail, where you can view hikers and porters along the way. Here you will delve into the mysteries of this once-great civilisation, joining your Local Specialist for an exploration of the temples, palaces and terraces whose construction defy imagination. Visit the iconic great Temple of the Sun, the House of the Priest, the Sacred Plaza and the intricately carved Intihuatana, most likely used as a sundial centuries ago. We return to our hotel where we will Connect With Locals and learn how to prepare an authentic Ceviche and pour the perfect Pisco sour.|
|Day 10||Machu Picchu - Cusco||Machu Picchu - Cusco: The ruins of Machu Picchu beckon yet again and we enjoy one final opportunity to reconnect with its story, spending some time on our own to explore the hill-top fortress. Next, we'll journey back to the Sacred Valley by train, stopping en route to Cusco to Dive Into Culture and learn about the natural dyeing techniques used by native weavers. Visit the Pisac handicraft market followed by sampling the sweet flavours of chicha as we Dive Into Culture yet again, savouring the favourite drink of the Andes. Then a Stays With Stories tonight, in what was once an old, colonial Hacienda located in the historic centre of Cusco.|
|Day 11||Cusco Sightseeing||Cusco Sightseeing: Begin your day at the ruins of the UNESCO-listed Sacsayhuaman fortress overlooking Cusco. Your Local Specialist will guide you through Cusco's colonial centre. Later, you'll join another Local Specialist who will reveal insights into the nearby 13th-century Incan settlement of Qoriwayrachina. The afternoon is free.|
|Day 12||Cusco - Juliaca - Puno||Cusco - Juliaca - Puno: Fly to Juliaca and meet a Local Specialist to learn about daily life on the Peruvian altiplano. After an included lunch, we'll visit Sillustani, a pre-Incan burial ground on the shores of Lake Umayo. Explore the towering chullpas (above ground tombs) before travelling to Puno along the shores of Lake Titicaca, the birthplace of the sun.|
GHL Lake Titicaca
|Day 13||Lake Titicaca Excursion||Lake Titicaca Excursion: Connect With Locals as you cruise the deep blue waters of Lake Titicaca, passing floating islands constructed by the Uros Indians. Next, in the midst of South America's largest lake lies Taquile Island, where we'll Dive Into Culture and embark on a private tour to gain insights into the tradition of knitting and weaving for which the local villagers - men and women - are renowned. Enjoy a lunch here and learn more about the islanders' unique way of life upon islets make of totora reeds, which grow in the lake, and are attached to sticks driven into the bottom of the lake. Tonight, we indulge in a Regional Dinner at our favourite local restaurant in Puno.|
|Day 14||Puno - Juliaca - Lima - Paracas||Puno - Juliaca - Lima - Paracas: Return to Lima this morning, then continue your journey to the coastal playground of Paracas. Discover what life is like in Peru's rural countryside before arriving to Paracas for dinner at your seaside hotel and an evening at leisure. Perhaps there's even time for a stroll along the Malecon.|
|Day 15||Paracas - Nazca Lines Flight||Paracas - Nazca Lines Flight: Take to the skies, soaring above the coastal desert to see the enigmatic Nazca Lines, gigantic geometric designs viewable only from the air. Next, stop this afternoon at our Dive Into Culture, the Regional Museum of Ica, where we'll explore the centuries-old cultures of the Paracas and Nazca. Later, we will once again Dive Into Culture during a visit to Bodega El Catador to learn about and taste the finest pisco in the country. The rest of the day is free.|
|Day 16||Paracas - Ballestas Islands - Lima||Paracas - Ballestas Islands - Lima: This morning, connect with nature with a Local Specialist, cruising around the uninhabited Ballestas Islands, a 'mini-Galapagos' teeming with wildlife. See the mysterious Candelabra in Pisco Bay, then return to Lima where this evening, we'll visit the Larco Museum with a Local Specialist. Our journey almost at its end, we'll indulge in a festive Farewell Dinner in the museum's garden restaurant.|
|Day 17||Fly to Santiago||Fly to Santiago: It's time to say goodbye to your fellow travellers as your trip comes to an end. Head to Lima and fly to Santiago International Airport (flight not included in holiday price). Stay the night in Chile's vibrant capital of Santiago before heading on to your Easter Island extension tomorrow.|
Holiday Inn Santiago Airport
|Day 18||Voyage to Easter Island||Voyage to Easter Island: Fly to Easter Island (flight not included in holiday price) and connect with the legend and lore of one of the world's most remote and remarkable islands, delving into the ancient culture of the Rapa Nui who once prospered on this land. Our first stop on this mystical adventure is Ahu Akivi, where we'll enjoy a private guided excursion with our Local Specialist to view its seven Moai statues, facing the ocean. Learn about their astronomically precise location and how they were placed there to use their mana to protect the inhabitants of the nearby village. Continue to ancient Ahu Hanga Poukura to see the tumbled Moai statues that stand as a testament to ancient battles. Then, visit the Puna Pau quarry with its red scoria stone.|
|Day 19||The Maoi of Easter Island||The Maoi of Easter Island: Embark on a privately guided excursion with our Local Specialist to the southern coast and witness the perfectly preserved ceremonial Ahu Vaihu in the bay of Hanga Te'e. Set out with your boxed picnic lunch and proceed to Rano Raraku, a quarry of almost 900 stone statues - 397 of them still located at the slopes of the Rano Kau volcano. Visit Ahu Tongariki, the largest ahu on the island, then continue to the eastern coast and visit Ahu Te Pito Kura with its Paro Maoi, the largest maoi statue ever erected. Afterward, visit scenic Anakena beach, where the king first set foot on the island.|
|Day 20||On the Slopes of Rano Kau||On the Slopes of Rano Kau: Journey to the UNESCO-listed Rapa Nui National Park. Join a private excursion with our Local Specialist up the extinct Rano Kau volcano. Admire views of the island from its slopes, then drive to the village of Orongo, where you'll view petroglyphs revealing the local culture. Later, catch a glimpse the three islets of Motu Nui, Motu Iti and Motu Kao Kao on the opposite coast. Then it's on to Ahu Vinapu for further evidence of the pre-Incan architectural influence. Our final stop is at the Ana Kai Tangata to view the ornate cave paintings from its mouth. Return to your hotel this afternoon before being transferred to the airport. Airport arrival is at 12 p.m., please be aware when booking your flights.|
- Land and Intra Air prices include economy air and air-related charges for flights between Lima-Cusco, Cusco-Juliaca and Juliaca-Lima and require purchase of round-trip air travel on LATAM airline between your gateway city and the itinerary's start and end gateway cities.
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class